Sunday, 1 March 2009

Catching you up (11)

(Selections from March, 2009)

I've tried writing, several times. It just hasn't worked.

Nothing has changed. Except, therapy is ending now, my grandparents are dead, and I like myself a lot less than I did this time last year.

---

It's still a struggle to write.

6 And I say, ‘O that I had wings like a dove!
   I would fly away and be at rest;
7 truly, I would flee far away;
   I would lodge in the wilderness;

Psalm 55:6-7
Is there a name for someone who can't stay?
This is more than wanderlust. This is desperation.
It does not matter how good things are; I always need to go.

---

Well, a finale. First round of therapy over. First year over. What have I done?

A necessary and controlled deconstruction:

I am not withdrawn, numb, cold, and emotionless. I only develop the emptiness to hide and protect myself. Rather, I am acutely sensitive and empathetic. Yesterday, I walked in the grounds of an abandoned church amidst the freshly attended graves of strangers, and I cried for them. I know when the wind changes. I can tell all the subtle ingredients in a dish. I can smell the perfume of a woman who used the office earlier that day. I notice that half-second pause before you answer and the flick of your eyes down, left, up.

I need time to process my day. I am overwhelmed. I am aching, I am lonely, I am filled. I no longer blame, but I am still scared. I cannot unlearn a lifetime in a year. I tense when teased. I fight when I fail. I doubt you. I question you. I challenge you.

I forget myself. I am suggestible.

But I am not yet lost.


Read on the NHS Choices blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.