Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Being Professional

Dear Directorman,

Here is your chance to do the Right Thing. You have responsibility. You have responsibility for me. Kid-manager refused it. Bossman abused it. And me? I'm breathless, waiting, hovering closer to madness than ever before.

You have no idea who you are talking to.

You are just playing a part handed to you by our collective Employer. And I am playing mine. The script was passed on from one human resource manager to another to another and eventually to us. You tick your boxes. You sign on the dotted line.

But it's more than the words. It's more than the motions. Or, rather, it would be if there was room at all for me to say what I want to say, instead of picking apart policies and procedures.

I want to say, Stop.

Stop.


Everyone, stop.

Stop this silly dance and look at me. Look at yourselves.

Stop.


I have been here before. I know how it ends. I have a lifetime of practice with this script, and I am tired of playing the same old role.

I WANT A NEW ROLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.