"You have to know yourself, don't you..." Edna O'Shaugnessy smiled pleasantly around the table, letting the words settle. "...and we can never really know ourselves enough, I think."The nurse called me the opposite of attention-seeking, and I felt 13 again, undeserving of the truth. In our last moments, Psychotherapist Number One had laughed, saying most therapists wouldn't be able to handle me, that only she could handle me, and my mind still burns with this living memory. It isn't just my parents, my bullies...
There is something about me that brings this out in people.
There is something about me that can change it.
Me. Not a nurse, not a pill, not a therapist. And I'm sorry for anyone that has lost, even for a moment, their ability to see that.
My life will be very different when I learn how to be so authentic that I disagree when I want to disagree, rather than sit and leave silently. I would have boundaries, real palpable boundaries based on values of my choosing, that people could respond to and respect. Interactions would be less terrifying and more rewarding.
My actions would say -- You deserve the truth from me. You deserve to know me. -- rather than the punishing inavailability I currently operate from.
This is what our Couples Therapist enabled us to see, as she "held our relationship for us" these past few months. I had the idea in mind, but not the feeling, and now I am able to see in practice how it comes together and why it is so important to push back.
The world and the people in it are being shaped every day; that's just what we do. That's how we evolve personalities and identities. That's how we draw a line around our Selves.
Well, consider my line drawn. And all the better, because the pen is mine.
Great to hear. Sounds like you are well on the way.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you've been able to draw something positive from the whole experience, and I hope that when (if?) you see the psychiatrist they're more understanding and validating.
ReplyDeleteI agree that only we can change ourselves. I think therapists and other health professionals can act as guides in this process, and medication is a tool that can help, but ultimately each of us has to find our own way.
Thinking of you. x