In the dream, I am worrying. I look at product after product on the shelf, until I forget I am standing, or where I am standing, or who I am. I've become simply a vessel for image after image of Possibility in the form of Sugar. I worry, visually, and then I wake, because waking is easier than making a decision. Than acting on a belief. Than believing anything at all.
My homework now includes The Workbook -- a collection of checklists interspersed with definitions and stereotyping -- which treats me like I, too, am just a checklist of symptoms just waiting to be defined. Did the person who wrote this ever have anxiety? I'm not sure she did. She might have realised how horrible it feels to battle intellectually with a form over whether "generalised anxiety is a problem for you."
I'm going to skip straight to Section 2: my own Five Areas Assessment. My therapist has now explained this approach to me 4 times. That's one for each time we've met, plus one extra when he was feeling especially pedantic. Essentially, our thoughts, physical symptoms, feelings/emotions, and behaviour all are linked and affect one another. This is basic science for someone whose post-graduate education focused entirely on theories of mind and behaviour, let alone someone who has already been labelled gifted. I'm not looking forward to the fifth time he explains it to me. If I interrupt, will I earn a new label? Difficult? Disrespectful? Impatient?
Shoot, there's another checklist already. I'm putting The Workbook away before I hurt it with my condescension.
We talked in circles this week, because we've finally reached the edge of his understanding of the human mind. I didn't think it would come this early in the process, and to be honest, I'm considering giving CBT up because of it. I feel deliciously mean just writing that, because essentially I just put my therapist, another human being, down.
Did you catch that? I'm being defensive. At some point, I shut the gate, and he's left standing outside, alone.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is meant to be challenging. It's good to have help, but we should all be doing this ourselves in the first place. But it's not as easy as thinking "Hmm, I am underestimating my ability to cope with this new situation. I feel unsafe and confused about what is happening to me. I am anxious." I know I can cope. I can make all of my problems disappear, one way or another, with distance and time. I don't worry about me.
I worry about you.
I worry, because I see you. I interact with you and I know you. My mind races through your life, calculating, estimating, testing, evaluating, predicting. Is mind-reading so very wrong then, if I am always right?
I avoid you.
I avoid, because I would rather be alone than have the opportunity to manipulate you. And I will manipulate you, even if it's simply to counsel you. Knowledge is power, and power is responsibility, and I simply don't want responsibility for you.
There comes a point in your life when you realise you will never have what you want most. Is that what I'm grieving? That I won't ever be able to make everything right in the world? That I can't heal everything? I'm past adolescent, past puberty. I've discovered what I am capable of. I'm past exploring. I've recoiled.
My therapist challenged me this week. I reached the edge of my own understanding of my mind. I didn't think it would come this early in the process, and to be honest, I considered giving CBT up because of it. But that would be avoiding, again. So I challenged myself. I went home, and I wrote this, like I'm writing now. We talked in circles because I cannot resist shutting the gate. Because it's easier to be talked to about self-esteem, shaky hands, and shallow breathing than admit what I'm truly afraid of:
Hurting you.
Read on the NHS Choices blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.