Friday, 9 December 2011

The Person of our Choosing

In an effort to practice some positive psychology, I completed the VIA character strength questionnaire and made this based on a chart in their sample 'pro' report. The 24 character strengths have been located on two spectrums according to 'research findings' (which means, view this with a huge grain of salt). I question the dualism of Heart vs Mind, but as always, it's worth it to reflect on my strengths, gain perspective, and increase my self-worth.

The brighter (whiter) the trait, the higher I scored:


As anticipated, the majority of my character strengths fall into the 'wisdom/knowledge' and 'transcendence' virtues (see classification here). I wasn't provided with numerical results in my free report, but I suspect there is a natural break after 'Humour and playfulness' where my strengths fall off to nothing. It bothers me that I lack strengths in humanity and temperance, as these are two areas I would love to have as strengths. I think they balance wisdom/knowledge and transcendence, and I want that balance. I'm working towards that balance.

1.Creativity, ingenuity, and originality: Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

2.Appreciation of beauty and excellence: You notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.

3.Love of learning: You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.

4.Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness: Thinking things through and examining them from all sides are important aspects of who you are. You do not jump to conclusions, and you rely only on solid evidence to make your decisions. You are able to change your mind.

5.Curiosity and interest in the world: You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

6.Hope, optimism, and future-mindedness
7.Perspective (wisdom)
8.Fairness, equity, and justice
9.Kindness and generosity
10.Forgiveness and mercy
11.Humour and playfulness
---------------------------------------
12.Caution, prudence, and discretion
13.Leadership
14.Bravery and valour
15.Honesty, authenticity, and genuineness
16.Industry, diligence, and perseverance
17.Social intelligence
18.Zest, enthusiasm, and energy
19.Citizenship, teamwork, and loyalty
20.Gratitude
21.Modesty and humility
22.Self-control and self-regulation
23.Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith
24.Capacity to love and be loved

It is hard to accept that I am not, nor can be, everything. Perfect. My brain says of course not, but my feelings feel something different entirely. This dissonance is only a good thing. It means I am listening. It means I can hear. It means I can respond. It means I can choose differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.