Monday, 22 August 2011

Do you want to dance?


Click to watch Barbie & the Rockers sing Do You Want To Dance.
Obsessively watching this video as a child is why my fashion sense is stuck in the 50s...


I've always loved music. There are home videos of me, 3 years old, with huge padded headphones clamped to my head, bouncing around the living room. My parents got me a Fisher Price record player which I played so often and so loud, it was moved to the basement. I would play the same songs over and over, spinning around in the dark. Eventually, I graduated to a Fisher Price stereo. Then a portable Walkman. Then a karaoke machine.

I loved music.

I taught myself to play songs on a small Casio keyboard by listening and matching tones. And for a brief year, I had lessons in saxophone and piano. But then we moved from SuperCity and no music lessons were arranged in our new town.

I still have a deep desire to make music. When I'm near a piano, I quickly remember the songs I taught myself. When we turn on Rock Band, I'm the only one willing to take the microphone.

I participated regularly in a women's choir in high school and joined an all-female acapella group in university. I don't have a distinctive or strong or interesting voice. What I do have, however, is a virtually perfect pitch. I am a parrot, thanks to years of endless listening and singing. Strictly speaking, I cannot read sheet music, but if you give me a starting note I can follow the changes to it with increasing accuracy.

This of course makes me an expert Rock Band soloist. ;-)

The thing about music, however, is that it is fantastic. Quite literally. I would escape into the emotions of the song as though I were escaping into a book or a movie. For a few brief, potent minutes, I would be the song. Lyrics didn't matter. The emotions were real, and the older I got, the easier it became to call on those feelings.

This sort of concentration and intensity is a hallmark of giftedness. I know and understand that now, but for most of my life I thought I was crazy. No one else in my life became swept away by a song. Stories, maybe. Movies, of course. But songs?

I felt like an addict, falling into music for my emotional fix. It was safer than life. It compensated for the pathological emptiness which categorised my childhood.

But at first, it was simply me. I was simply born with a heightened emotional response to the world around me: sound, sight, taste... A massage-therapist boyfriend marvelled how the lightest of touch was all it took to turn me on. I hated food until I discovered spices and herbs. I have to make my office seem like home: surrounded by friendly, reassuring colours and objects.


I was born wanting to respond to the world, being excited about everything, and in love with the connections between it all. (Weren't you?) I became deeply attached to SuperCity as a result, and that is why leaving it was so traumatic.

My mum is gifted. I presume she felt the same. But where this depth of feeling has left her broken, I am learning to contain it with something other than avoidance, dissociation, denial, obsessions, compulsions or anxiety. That is the point of this blog. That is why I sought therapy. That is why I am processing the trauma, reflecting on my choices, and practicing mindfulness.

My authentic self is buried under, filtered by, and distorted through this mess. It is easy to get lost, especially when I don't really know what I'm looking for. How will I know when I find her? How will I know what is and isn't me? What to keep, what to throw away?

As my therapist said, it all comes down to emotions. Thoughts can be learned. Behaviours can be changed. But emotions? They need opportunities to provoke them. So I suppose the best I can do is keep listening and keep responding. Processing the trauma is only a part, a small but necessary part, of recovery. The rest involves living.

5 comments:

  1. Barbie and the Rockers - lol, I had a couple of those Barbies when I was little. I loved those Barbies - they seemed extra cool because they were rockstars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look really genuinely excited, happy and enthusiastic with the object you are holding in the picture. Is it a star?
    Knowing that you were born with a desire to respond to the world and an excitement for life is something special that I hope will be like a compass for you to show you what you are aiming for.
    My first memories are of fear and a great feeling of despair. Sometimes I wonder if I was born that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments.

    Sandy: I had the rock star barbie (big crimped blond hair), but preferred my Asian barbie with her long black hair and pretty eyes. Rock star Barbie was stuck with a preppy Ken doll, whereas Asian Barbie hung out with Michael Jackson doll. Way cooler. ;-)

    Considering the ethnic and occupational diversity of my sample of Barbies doesn't seem to reflect the actual population, I'm guessing my mum was keen for me to feel the benefit of the women's movement.

    --

    Candy: The star is a tree ornament that I just finished using home-made dough, baked, and then painted. I love(d) making things!

    I'm sorry your earliest memories are fear and despair. Sometimes certain memories dominate; for a long time I wasn't able to recall most of my 'happy' memories. Even if you were born into an environment of fear and despair, you weren't born with it inside you. It isn't your fault. You were a helpless infant who did the best she could with what she was given.

    What makes you feel genuinely happy and excited?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no wonder you looked so pleased then. I think I would have been proud of making a star decoration out of dough! It's a lovely picture.

    I do have some good memories. They are just held quite separately from some of my other memories. I remember getting twin baby dolls for Christmas when I was just turning two. I still remember opening the box and seeing the two naked babies, one a boy and one a girl and feeling such an immediate love and desire to be their mummy. I think that was the beginning of my obsession with dolls as a child. I thought my entire purpose in life would be to have babies and be the best mummy in the world.
    Nowadays I don't generally feel happy or excited ever, but I know my child parts can and when they are happy, I can feel it too from where I am, near by them.
    I think they like making things too. What kinds of things do you make nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you still want to have babies and be a mother?

    It's hard for me to let my child part out. Although my child parts have joined together the emotions and emotional memories are still quite far from my own functional part. The last time, I did a bunch of sewing. I like making small birds and other stuffed animals. Will share some photos.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.