Candy asked about what I make. I don't really share things, because I habitually avoid praise. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I know that needs to change.
Here is a selection of things I make. I make things when I feel like it (and I make whatever I feel like making). A good proportion is food because we are eating constantly. I also sew quite a bit, because I can sit and listen to the TV (I rarely actually watch TV) and sew. Or sit in company and sew.
I would have made a productive and useful medieval housewife.
If I had a woodworking studio, I'd cut wood and build furniture. If I had a painting studio, I'd do more painting. But I'm afraid all I have is a kitchen, a dining table and a couch, so the world is stuck with experimental baked goods and stuffed animals for now. And photographs.
Man, I feel awkward.
A gift for Carrie's baby boy.
I am 'no good' at frosting cakes and felt quite bad about this one at the time. In hindsight, it's really not so bad.
I also love decorating tables and making favours. It doesn't do anything for the social anxiety, though, and when I look at this photograph all I remember is feeling terribly insecure after the evening was over.
When bored, I tend to sew up small ornaments and decorations using scrap fabric and ribbons.
I wanted hot cross buns without raisins, so I made my own. They were super yummy, especially in making bread & butter pudding afterwards.
I don't spend a lot of time carving my pumpkins, but I do spend a lot of time enjoying them.
Snowmen deserve personalities too.
I didn't build these, but I did get them for free, strip them, paint them, and put new knobs on them.
I also paint, in all mediums.
And make jewelry.
And carve wood.
Just a selection, and really most of my spare time I spend thinking, reading and writing. I make things sporadically not regularly.











I don't like praise either, but I am so glad that you shared this with all of us. The bunny is adorable, the cake looks delicious - now I want cake :)I can't get over how talented you are. The table looks so beautiful, something Martha Stewart would be jelous of. Please share more about you. There is so much to celebrate!
ReplyDeleteIf it's food I'm there.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to make you feel awkward by singing your praises but Oh my daisies, those things are fantastic! You are obviously talented at photography as well as the pictures themselves are very professional looking. Where did you learn how to do all of those crafts? The christmas table is absolutely beautiful, I bet your guests felt very special with the obvious effort and attention to detail you put in.
ReplyDeleteI love the painting with the trees as well. I really can't help feeling so envious. I love doing crafts but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and not much in the way of natural tealent and most of the time it just ends up being the kids who make pictures which are great if you're five.
I'm going to try to learn how to do crochet. I have a book and wool and am waiting for my crochet hooks to arrive from ebay land.
All of the pictures of your creatings give me a fuzzy warm feeling in my chest. I think it's because they are so homely and I don't know, just seem peaceful in some way. I'm not sure how to describe it.
Thanks for sharing. I hope you will put more pictures on some time.
Thanks Sandy, Peter, and Candy.
ReplyDeleteI learn by doing. My life is full of distractions. I love beautiful things. I love making beautiful things.
When I searched through my photos of stuff I made, I was surprised how much stuff there was. I never remember any of the nice things I do. I run from them more than the bad things. Something I have been working on (taking the time to enjoy the rewards of my hard work). I have a bunch of stuff waiting to be framed at a local business.
I crochet, too. Not had the patience lately. Last thing I made was a beanie hat with a pompom. I have a book which shows how to do squares but I am not good at following directions/recipes. I think I will try it again, because I am more patient now and a nice colourful quilt will be a good addition to the children's room we will be working on. I like crocheting more than knitting. It's relaxing. What will you be making, Candy?
I am planning to make a blanket too. I thought that would be simplest to start off with, but instead of doing small squares and stitching them together I am going to do the version that starts in the centre and the square goes out from there. Not really sure how to explain it! I am probably the opposite of you in that directions are better for me otherwise I wouldn't have a clue. I don't have a great imagination. I've been coming back to this page to look at your pictures again. They make me feel good!
ReplyDelete