Thursday, 18 August 2011

We are all in this together

I have too much on my mind and not enough confidence to share it. As Sandy said, it's all about riding with this flow. In this case, I mean it literally: pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder. Forget what it says on the wiki. The best description is that my emotional parts are on a boat floating at sea but for a few days before menstruation when that boat gets pulled back to shore. Every feeling is immediately, unavoidably present. Tears on demand. Anxiety on tap. All access passes to grief.

"They" say they do not know the cause, but it didn't take me very many cycles of studious observation to notice that the drop in estrogen correlates to anxiety and the drop in progesterone correlates to depression. Hence, as progesterone drops in the latter half of the luteal phase, I become sad. And when estrogen drops, the anxiety builds until the headache comes. Stress can bring on this same pattern, so I could probably chart my serotonin changes with reasonable accuracy.

For me, my reproductive cycle is clockwork. I can usually tell, with unnerving accuracy, what day in the cycle I am. So perhaps 'being a few days late' meant more to me than your average woman trying to conceive. After the fourth month of noticing another ultra-super-early-loss-that-really-wouldn't-ever-have-been-noticed-by-anyone-but-me, I had no more strength to keep trying. Something was preventing our fertilised embryos from implanting, and though the timing pointed to the quality of my husband's sperm, there really is no convincing a female body that the blame belongs to any body but her own.

It was around this time my last therapist suggested that I wouldn't really have been a good parent, anyway. That gentle criticism makes a lot more sense, knowing what I know now about how she felt about my prognosis then. But it still deeply hurt, about as deeply as I wanted to be a mother.

Rejecting her pessimism and standing up for my own desire was just one step in the process of re-gaining my confidence. She wasn't wrong, just like my old boss wasn't wrong in her criticism of transplant surgery. But sometimes there is more than one way to be right.

My intense desire to be a mother was enough motivation to move me rapidly up the steps to recovery, just like my husband's love for his sister was enough to motivate him to donate a kidney. It is a risky, painful, foolish thing to do. But it is also worth the risk, worth the pain, worth the tests, and worth the change, because it is brave, beautiful, and, moreover, something he wanted to do. He has a right to want that, and medicine has the ability to let him, with all of the screening and support they can give.

Something he wanted to do.

A year ago, would that have been enough, for me? Could I have made a decision for myself simply because it was something I deeply wanted, even against all best evidence and advice? At what threshold do my emotional parts overpower my intellectual control?

I feel lonely. It's that sort of loneliness one feels staring over a vast landscape, having just spent hours with rocks underfoot. A heavy climb. And then sky.


The river of thoughts runs quickly at this time of the month, but I'm holding on to today. I can feel that familiar restlessness tugging inside. Whenever my emotional parts get this close to shore, someone loud begs to cut them free.

That is a metaphor, of course. I appreciate that some of my readers do hear actual voices, but the only endless voice in my head is my own. My fragmented sense of self has more to do with chronically dissociating my emotions. Sometimes I wish these parts had names, voices, and identities, so that it would be easier to understand them as something more discrete than extensive and nebulous networks of dissociated emotional experiences.

Perhaps if, like Tara, I donned different outfits and identities, it would be easier for me and Drew to recognise when I've switched to my pre-adolescent or teenage self. Maybe then I would stop trying to make sense of why I suddenly am married to a stranger who doesn't know me, who can't possibly love me. Normal people don't have constant emotion. But normal people should at least have a continuity of emotional experiences. And I suppose that's what I find so difficult to accept about having a dissociative disorder. It gets me every time I switch. I assume that everything I feel now, every feeling I can recall now, I will be able to recall anytime I like.

But that isn't true. Some days they will be locked in an invisible tower. And I will be dependent on my cognitive memory to remind myself that, yes, my husband does know and love me. Yes, I do know and love him, and if we just wait, that tower will appear and we can find our way in again.

Admitting how much dissociation has affected my life is hard. As I go through The List, I'll show you. I remember a lot, but let's not pretend that memory is enough. In re-telling me, I will be weaving my emotions back into that story -- back into myself. I will be sharing stories with myself, even though my parts don't have names or voices, because my parts still have their own stories to share.

My therapist is no longer available to listen, but I am.

2 comments:

  1. You and I both seem to have these incredibly controlling hosts. It is too dangerous to allow a full switch (most of the time.)so our controlling hosts keep things "normal" on the outside, but inside is a whole different story. My husband also has a hard time understanding the switching and there are days when I think he doesn't know me and shouldn't have to endure this. But he does love me and he tries. It is in his own way - which drives my control freak host nuts!(She wants it her way)
    My therapist has had me assign names to a few of my parts. To avoid confusion everyone responds to Sandy or Sandra. This made it difficult to seperate what was happening where. We started with my natural child, the one who exsisted before the trauma. My inner parent, "Mom" was devoted to finding just the right name for that child. She chose Maggy, because it means "a pearl". A pearl is rare and precious. Next, we moved on to my adapted child. She is the one who is very hypervigelant, worries about everything and tries to take control in a crisis. She is the part of me that tries to be an adult but doesn't have the adult skills. Her name is Ally. Short for Aloicious. It means warrior. She is my little warrior :) I have my hostess with the mostess who likes to cook meals and decorate things just so. She comes out for special events and is probably the equivelant of the perfect 50's wife. If we are having someone over for dinner, she starts rushing around trying to make everything perfect. Another part of me thinks she is an angel on a mission, to take care of others. She doesn't want a name, as she prefers to do good deeds without being recognized. I could go on, but my point is that if you try blogging or journaling about how you feel when you are switching it might give you some insight on the identities of those hanging out within :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right: my Control Freak (as I call, er, me) runs the show.

    I have no doubt: my first psychotherapist saw more of me than my second therapist ever could. She asked my child part to come out, and I panicked. I felt like I was losing control. The noise inside was overwhelming. My child part wanted out like 'whoa' but I couldn't let that happen. I can't let that happen. That's most of why I had to change therapists. She said other therapists couldn't manage me, and my Control Freak's ego was bruised. On one hand, she implied I was out of control which was the worst sort of insult to give the one part of me that she had contact with, and on the other hand, she implied only she could control me. Thank-you-very-much, but I'm managing myself just fine.

    My last therapist didn't try to manage me. She accepted that she was essentially teaching my Control Freak how to take of my parts better. In fact, I'm not even sure if she realises this is why her therapy was successful whereas my last therapy wasn't?

    There is no doubt in my mind about having a dissociative disorder. The evidence (historical and current) is undeniable. But I don't have DID. The continuity of cognitive memories is too strong for me to give discrete names and identities to my parts. And I've only just barely started exploring my emotions. I really have no idea what sort of clusters of emotional experiences there are inside. Based on how regularly I dissociate emotions in the present, I'm guessing thousands. I may never integrate them all, but I'm hoping to integrate enough that the 'switching' becomes less of a problem (because we're all on the same page, in the same continuity of self).

    I could probably benefit from a therapist who is more experienced with dissociative disorders, but my main priority is getting my system healthy to protect it from any further splits.

    Perhaps my methods are a bit untraditional, but it's easier to work with the resources and walls I've got.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.