No one knows how many people with severe mental illness live what appear to be normal, successful lives, because such people are not in the habit of announcing themselves. They are too busy juggling responsibilities, paying the bills, studying, raising families — all while weathering gusts of dark emotions or delusions that would quickly overwhelm almost anyone else.
It's hard for me to admit this, because I am one of 'those people' who try SO DAMN HARD to function, but I am, at the core, emotionally identical to those who are borderline. On good days, I dissociate the bad feelings, I distract myself from the chronic emptiness, and I fill myself with the desires and emotions of other people instead of facing my own. Because my own feelings are so painful, I'd do anything to get rid of them. Thank god for dissociation. Thank god for splitting myself into parts. Because if it weren't for the controlling part, that obsessive OCD part who is trying to fix everything about me, I would have easily succumbed to self-harming and suicide a long time ago.
I'm sorry to be so unsympathetic here, but I sometimes find it hard to read how other people are feeling (aka poorly) and managing their own moods (aka also poorly). Another blogger recently wrote about being depressed for the third time in her life. I'm thankful for the days I'm not fighting depression. People get diagnosed with Bipolar and given medicine for far lower (and less often) levels of despair and mania and suicidal thoughts... is it really all down to self-harm and unsafe behaviours? Because if it were down to feelings alone, they should have locked me up a long time ago. But instead, I escape attention by being convincingly okay.
I read a blog post recently about someone discovering their friend was so clinically depressed she couldn't stop crying. They took her to the hospital, because she was suffering. One day of dark thoughts! One day!
I didn't have friends. I didn't have parents. All I had was sleep. School, suffering and then sleep.
I think what stuns me is realising (thanks to therapy) how severely emotionally neglected I was growing up. I can't fathom seeking help when I feel so much despair. I just cry and cry for hours. I detach. I shamefully desire death.
I see people write about these experiences on the boards or blogs, and people urge them to get help. I can't relate. I don't share those experiences, not even with my therapist. Because it's my responsibility? Because I am deluded into thinking I have weathered it alone since I was 10, that no one else can change anything now?
People with depression ask me for help because they think I am sensible. They've read my story. They see how much I function. They think I understand, that I could tell them the secret to feeling good again. I treat them with compassion. I urge them to connect to others.
Why can't I take my own advice?
I don't even want to post this, because I know I will just react defensively to your comments, especially the helpful ones. The more helpful you are, the more I will push you away. And I am fighting against this. Fighting against myself, while simultaneously trying to accept myself. It's a nightmare. But every time I learn how to cope on my own, I find another reason to stay alone.
I wish someone smarter than me would see how much I'm suffering and force me to accept help, rather than hiding it. But I'm just too good at hiding it, I guess.
Thanks to my dissociative disorder, I hide it from myself.
Hi Eliza
ReplyDeleteSorry, I haven't looked at your blog enough, especially recently. Have been rather self-absorbed. You ask for someone smarter than you to get you to get help... Sorry, but I'm not that someone. In fact, you are probably too smart - your mind has tangled itself up into all sorts of conundrums. You might have done better if you were less smart... However, don't write off your future. Whatever you are going through now, it is in the present. And what you went through - that was the past. It has gone. Whatever was done to you, you have survived. The future is still to come. And the world is not such a fearful place, you know, once you are an adult. Which you are. And a very smart one... Kind of a circular argument, but I am trying to tell you to be brave, live your life, nothing is going to happen to you. You are safe now. You can move forward. OK? Hope it helps. If it sounds like I have been reading too many self-help books - well, I probably have. Louise x
Thanks Louise -- as my therapist said, 'It will never feel as bad as it felt when it happened.'
ReplyDeleteI don't agree with your therapists statement. Sorry to be blatant and I hope my opinion doesn't offend you, but that's the whole thing about dissociation; you never deal with the stuff because you don't allow yourself to 'feel' it at the time. It doesn't matter if it takes a week or a year or 3o years, when you do finally allow yourself to feel it, it can feel as real as the very moment it may have happened (possibly even worse if you weren't 'feeling' it at the time). Maybe I have misunderstood the context of her statement. I just find the whole idea of 'things being in the past so move on' frustrating. If you have DID, or other disorders, things can be so separate from you that it's just not possible to just move on, because they keep coming back to bite you in the bum. I spent my whole life trying to just be in the present and not let the past affect me anymore. I know it's not that I'm not trying hard enough.
ReplyDeleteIt helps, to know that the past is gone, but it doesn't help me to move on and it's not a statement that can be the answer to everything.
You are doing so well to be able to continue working while you are processing all of your stuff; it just takes time.
Thanks, Candy -- I tend to agree with you.
ReplyDeleteI interpreted her statement to mean that we are safe now; no matter what we're feeling, the people that hurt us then aren't hurting us now (ideally). So we should have the space/time to process the hard emotions from a point of safety which diffuses them? Not sure.
Certainly my recent abreactions were definitely more painful than how I felt in the past, precisely as you said: I dissociated the pain in order to cope with the original situation. I like to think I recovered from the abreactions faster because I experienced them from a place of safety.